Register with the practice

To register with the practice you should live in the practice area detailed under Practice Area Map (a more detailed map is available at both surgeries). Visit the Balsall Common or Meriden surgery appropriate to your postal address. Bring with you your medical card. If this is not available, a form will be provided for your completion (FP1). You will also need to provide proof of ID and proof of address - you will not be registered at the practice until proof of ID and address has been provided


Please supply photocopies (the surgery will photocopy documents for you upon request) of identifications documents:

§  One form of personal photo ID


§  Proof of your address


Acceptable Photo Personal Identity Documents:

§  Current UK (Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Irish) passport or EU/other nationalities passport

§  Passports of non-EU nationals containing UK stamps, a visa or a UK residence permit showing the immigration status of the holder in the UK*

§  Current UK (or EU/other nationalities) Photo-card Driving Licence (providing that the person checking is confident that the non UK Photo-card Driving Licence are genuine)

§  A national ID card and/or other valid documentation relating to immigration status and permission to work*


Where the applicant is not able to provide acceptable photographic ID the following must be provided:

§  One form of non-photographic personal identification and one document confirming the address must be provided from different sources.

§  A passport sized photograph, endorsed on the back with a signature of a ‘person of standing’ who has been known to them for at least 3 years (e.g. magistrate, medical practitioner, officer of armed forces, teacher, lawyer or civil servant)

 Any document not listed above is not an acceptable form of identification e.g. organisational ID card 

 Acceptable Non-Photo Personal Identity Documents

§  Full UK birth certificate – issued within 6 weeks of birth

§  Current full driving licence (old version); (provisional driving licences are not acceptable)

§  Residence permit issued by the Home Office to EU Nationals on inspection of own-county passport

§  Adoption certificate

§  Marriage /civil partnership certificate

§  Divorce or annulment papers

§  Police registration document

§  Certificate of employment in HM forces

§  Current benefit book or card or original notification letter from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) confirming legal right to benefit

§  Most recent HM Revenue and Customs (previously Inland Revenue) tax notification

§  Current firearms certificate

§  Application Registration Card (ARC) issued to people seeking asylum in the UK (or previously issued standard acknowledgement letters, SAL1 or SAL2 forms)

§  GV3 form issued to people who want to travel in the UK without valid travel documents

§  Home Office letter IS KOS EX or KOS EX2

§  Building industry sub-contractor’s certificate issued by HM Revenues and Customs (previously Inland Revenue)

 To confirm address, the following documents are acceptable:

§  Recent utility bill or a certificate from a supplier of utilities confirming the arrangement to pay for the services on pre-payment terms (note: mobile telephone bills will not be accepted as they can be sent to different addresses)

§  Utility bills in joint names are permissible*

§  Local authority tax bill (valid for current year)*

§  Current UK photocard driving licence (if not already presented as a personal ID document)

§  Current full UK driving licence (old version) (if not already presented as a personal ID document)

§  Bank, building society or credit union statement or passbook containing current address

§  Most recent mortgage statement from a recognised lender*

§  Current local council rent card or tenancy agreement

§  Current benefit book or card or original notification letter from Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) confirming the rights to benefit

§  Confirmation from an electoral register search that a person of that name lives at the claimed address*

§  Court Order*



*The date on these documents must be within the last 6 months (unless there is a good reason for it not to be e.g. clear evidence that the person was not living in the UK for 6 months or more) and must contain the name and address of the applicant.

On registering with the practice a doctor will be allocated to you. You do not have to see this doctor when visiting the surgery; patients may see any doctor they wish depending on that doctor's availability. 

If you would prefer you can complete the on-line registration form and submit to the practice (please go to the 'Do It On-line' tab) - However you will still be required to complete a new patient questionnaire (please see link below) and a carers questionnaire (only if applicable) and either post or hand this into the Practice.  Please ensure that all relevant information is included.  If you have any queries regarding your registration with the Practice, please contact 01676 935000 - choosing option 1 for Balsall Common Patients or 01676 522252 for Meriden Patients.

Adult New Patient Questionnaire 9 2 2019.pdf